Do you ever have days where you just crave healthy foods? That was my mood earlier this week as I walked through the grocery store, my body was craving yummy healthy foods. Salmon went in the grocery cart and salad mix, and what else… Quinoa Salad! Quinoa is one of those foods that became ultra popular a few years ago, it’s up there with food trends such as Acai berries and Kale, but for me Quinoa is here to stay. It is such a yummy grain choice AND it contains essential amino acids and protein.
I first found this Southwestern Quinoa Salad recipe a couple of years ago on Skinnytaste.com and since then I have made it over and over again. It is my husband’s absolute favourite salad. Sometimes I will just make a huge batch and he will eat it all week long. He says it’s the kind of food that just makes you feel good plus it’s delicious. Win, win! Have you ever checked out Skinnytaste.com? It is my all time favourite recipe site. Gina the author and recipe creator has TONS of awesome healthier recipes and she has never lead me a stray.
This recipe is super flexible, I have made it differently just depending on what I have in the fridge. Below is the recipe for my favourite combination.
- 1 cup of uncooked Quinoa
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped (I usually use orange, yellow, or red)
- 1 cup chopped fresh kiwi or mango (any tart soft fruit works, nectarines or peaches are also really good)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion or green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced (If you don't have fresh, pickled jalapeno will also work well)
- juice from 1 medium lemon or lime (sometimes I add the zest and it's awesome)
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions and let cool to room temperature.
- Combine quinoa, black beans, corn, bell pepper, kiwi, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together the lemon juice, zest if using, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chilli powder, and turmeric.
- Pour dressing over the quinoa mixture and stir to combine.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Tip: Cooking quinoa in half chicken stock and half water makes the quinoa very flavourful.